Sunday 2 February 2014

Special: Chinese Lunar New Year 2014! (Reunion dinner and family visits)

Welcome the Lunar New Year! It's the year of the horse, my brother's year and so he's going to be 24 later this year. I've been yet again blessed to have this week to school, which meant that I get Chinese New Year day off from school as it's a public holiday and got to spend the time doing the traditional family visiting and feasting.

My family as usual spent the eve of the lunar new year at home and my mother and grandmother cooked a simple three dish meal. The next day which was the first day of the lunar new year my family visited my father's sister's home where most of his family members would visit.

Continue below for the celebrations!
Chinese Lunar New Year 2014! (Celebrating with family and food)
My shimmery neutral eye look using Too Faced Natural Eye palette and curling my hair loosely with my new hot pink Babyliss Pro conical curler!
My parents posing in front of my dad's new car! He traded our last car just two days ago!
Posing with my mom underneath the pretty orchid flowers!

The super yummy buffet lunch! Every year the family orders from a caterer and this year's came with the Yu Sheng salad and a super delicious yam ring dish. I had a portion of fried rice, some fried sweet and sour fish, braised vegetables and lots of the yu sheng!
The dessert that came with the meal, a mango pudding in the shape of a fish with almond jelly as a base and just colored jelly on top like the water around the fish! I thought it was very creative!
All the girls together!
All the youngster together!
All the parents and my father's siblings together!
My family!
My father on the far left with most of his siblings!
My mom and grandmother in her new apartment!
Grandma and mom did such a great job decorating her new place!
Her new apartment has a spacious living dining/kitchen and two bedrooms with a store room into the right side of the photo!
Posing with grandma after giving her New Year's well wishes!
My parent's, grandma and my auntie's husband who is working here!
With my brother's wife, brother and my grandma!
A super sleepy kitty! The second one of the day that I spotted!
Check out that curled tail!
My family's Chinese new year eve reunion dinner! Home made yu sheng, we had no raw fish but had jelly fish, prawns and smoked salmon!
Topped off with crackers, crushed peanuts, sesame seeds and the sweet plum dressing!
The beautifully tossed yu sheng salad!
Our pot of 'fortune'! Full of prawns, scallops, abalone, fish maw, sea cucumber and pork belly! All braised in a superior stock that's full of super flavors!
I ate my yu sheng topped off with spin crackers!
Look what's filling up the space on our table! Boxes of mandarin oranges! For eating and giving away to friends an family!
All oranges are packaged individually, people are encouraged and allowed to open up every single piece to check their condition and swap bad ones for new ones! Only at this time of year are mandarin oranges so available and treasured!
All the snacks my mom has stashed hidden! But it didn't stop some of us from beginning to snack on them before even chinese new year!
Delicious chewy and soft mango mochi my mom brought back from taiwan!
The pretty variety of designs of 'hong bao' packets that people give money away in for good luck and blessings. These are all the ones I collected from my family this Chinese New Year!
To all my chinese friends or friends who are part of chinese families, happy lunar new year! I hope you all have managed to find the time to spend with family and friends, exchanging well wishes, celebrating and pigging out on delicious chinese food!

Thank you so much for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! That looks so much fun!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food looks amazing!!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Lunar New Year!! I hope the year of the horse is a prosperous year for you and your family ;)
    I really do miss spending LNY in Asia, it's so much more fun and exciting…and the food!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I have one of those envelopes please? Just kidding. Looks like a good time. Your makeup looks amazing, and all the food makes me drool. Happy Lunar New Year to you!
    Beauty Fashion Skin Care Blog -Girlie Blog Seattle | Casual Chic Style

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year!!
    Not gonna lie, I've never been to Asia during the New Year, so it's nice to see the photos/activities that ~kinda~ take place during this time of year!
    Oh, I absolutely love your outfit! The white dress is beautiful :)

    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ | Makeup & Silly things

    ReplyDelete

FEEL FREE TO LEAVE A LINK TO YOUR BLOG!

I DO NOT FOLLOW FOR A FOLLOW.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...